Plucked from the vine and disembowelled, a lit candle where your heart should be, then left to rot on the porch step. Thanksgiving comes around and you’re pie. Peter, Peter was a pumpkin eater. And Cinderella used you to get her to the ball.
Dorie Greenspan’s Stuffed Pumpkin
Freshly grated nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a very sturdy knife, cut a cap off the top of the pumpkin with your knife at a 45-degree angle to get a nice size cap. Remove the innards, but save the seeds (toss them with some kosher salt and olive oil and roast later).
- Toss the bread, cheese, cream, walnuts, salt, pepper, and garlic together in a bowl, then pack it into the pumpkin.
- Put the cap back in place and bake the pumpkin for about 2 hours (check after 90 minutes).
- Cut the pumpkin into wedges and share. Or dig in with your fork, and don’t.