It was quite spectacular. I had just broiled a burger and sweet potato fries for dinner, and thought I’d just, you know, lower the heat about 150F and then pop in the carrot cake I had promised to bring to Easter dinner at the farm.
But alas, that’s when the heating element in the bottom of the oven ‘sploded. I admit I watched for a bit as the element, having been in contact with the ill-fitting drip pan for far, far too long, spat out sparks and charred stuff then (after I finally shut the door) burned itself out. When I opened the door again, the element had melted in two places and I had a half-baked cake. At 11 at night and church at 7 the next morning. Yikes. Continue reading