A friend of mine who lives in the Midwest swears by these for parties and potlucks. I couldn’t wait for her to send me a batch, so I looked the recipe up online and then proposed to my fellow poster on A Year of Baking Dangerously that we try it out. Here it is, with a few tweaks! It’s fairly easy- most bakers would have baking chocolate and cocoa in their pantries already, so the only thing left to get is the Toblerone bar. And the challenge is to not eat all the good stuff before you start.
Lovely Crate & Barrel cutting board I got while I was working there. The bright yellow is so cheery- who knew a cutting board could be fun?
Semisweet Baker’s Chocolate ready for melting. Ate a square out of the box- yum.
With butter, for melting.
Lovely melted chocolate.
On to the Toblerone bar. Saucy, chocolatey minx.
Probably diced a little too finely, but it’s chocolate- no complaints!
Ready to go into the batter.
Silky batter- next time I’ll do this with Special Dark cocoa for better color and richer flavor.
It all comes together in one sweet, chocolatey mess.
Ready to go in the oven.
And out of the oven. Not a fan of Pyrex for this- the center was a tad squishier than I like, while the outer edges were a touch dry. Eh. Live, learn, eat it anyway.
A little pink salt- a touch of sea salt is really good with dark chocolate, or any kind of chocolate really.
The whole thing. Full disclosure: I took this picture, then cut the brownies up into bite-sized chunks and took them to a Superbowl Party. They went over well, I think- a friend’s finicky toddler polished off a few on his own and before evening’s end everything was gone but the crumbs. So while as a baker I may not have found the result satisfying, the eaters in the group clearly felt otherwise. Good enough.
Dark Chocolate Toblerone Brownies with Hawaiian Pink Salt
(Adapted from recipe on No Reason Needed.)
Makes 16 pieces
5 oz semisweet chocolate
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch iodized salt
1.25 cups all purpose flour
1 dark chocolateToblerone bar (100 g) – chopped
pinch pink salt or Maldon flake sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray an 8 inch square cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In the microwave, melt together semisweet chocolate and butter. Stir to make sure all butter chunks are incorporated, then set aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs until frothy. Stir in sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt. Stir in melted chocolate mixture. Stir in flour, making sure there are no lumps, then stir in Toblerone bits.
4. Pour batter into cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. Poke a knife in the middle to test for doneness- a clean blade means the brownies are ready to go.
5. Let cool on wire rack. Cut into chunks and serve.